How to Check if Your Aadhaar is Active Online
Recall the times you may have spent taking time off for your Aadhaar card registration process?
But all of it may come a cropper if UIDAI, the registering body for Aadhaar card de-activates your card. Yes your Aadhaar card can get de-activated for non usage along with various other reasons. In fact over 8.1 million Aadhaar card numbers have been deactivated by UIDAI. Thankfully de-activation does not result into cancellation and you can easily re-activate your Aadhaar card if it is found to be deactivated.
Here is a simple step wise explanation on how to check the current status of your Aadhaar card and re-activate the same if found to be deactivated.
A word of Aadhaar card activation and deactivations
UIDAI holds the right to cancel or deactivate your Aadhaar card if it is found violating any of its core regulations. All such reasons are listed in detail on UIDAI website under Section 27 and Section 28 of the Aadhaar (Enrolment and Update) Regulations Act of 2016.
Reasons why your Aadhaar card can be deactivated
There are many reasons why your Aadhaar card can be deactivated after initial activation. Some common reasons include:
- Seeking of an Aadhaar card based on false or fictitious information.
- Having multiple Aadhaar cards will lead to deactivation of all subsequent cards expect for the first card issued by UIDAI.
- Inactivity or non usage of your Aadhaar card for 3 years by non-linking the same with any service can also lead to subsequent deactivation.
- Enrolling wrongly as a child to escape biometric identification.
- Enrolment without supporting valid documentation also results in deactivation of your Aadhaar card.
- Whenever a child with Aadhaar card attains 5 years or 15 years of age, updation of biometric information is mandatory within 2 years of attaining such age. Non updation of biometric information can lead to card deactivation.
- Any information flagged as bad or incomplete by UIDAI.
What happens when your Aadhaar number gets deactivated?
Once your Aadhaar card gets deactivated all the services where you have updated your Aadhaar information as your unique identity will remain suspended.
How to check the status of your Aadhaar card online?
Step 1: Visit the UIDAI website at https://uidai.gov.in and look for tab ‘Aadhaar Services’.
Step 2: Under ‘Aadhaar Services’ click on the link ‘Verify Aadhaar Number’. Alternatively you can also directly go to the Aadhaar verification link at https://resident.uidai.gov.in/aadhaarverification
Step 3: Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number along with the captcha code
Step 4: You will now be able to see the status of your Aadhaar number along with information of age band, gender, state and last 4 digits of the mobile number linked to the card.
Step 5: If your Aadhaar card is deactivated for any reason, the above tab would show message ‘doesn’t exist’ post verification.
Steps to follow if your Aadhaar card is deactivated
If you find your Aadhaar is deactivated for any reason you will need to visit the official Aadhaar enrolment center near you. Know that Aadhaar number cannot be re-activated online. It can only be done by physically visiting the nearest Aadhaar enrolment center.
- Step 1: Visit the official Aadhaar enrolment center along with all your supporting documentation.
- Step 2: Fill and submit the Aadhaar update form and pay the requisite fee of Rs. 25.
- Step 3: You will be re-verified using your biometric information and your data will be submitted.
- Step 4: Once your newly submitted data is processed and verified, you can recheck the status of your Aadhaar card activation online.
KNOW YOUR FINANCIAL QUOTIENT
MASTER PERSONAL FINANCE
Attend a workshop to master what you've always wanted to. We have 13 workshops lined up, just for you!
GET PERSONALIZED ADVICE
Book a consultation with one of our industry leading experts. We offer consultations in 6 major areas of personal finance, customized to your needs.